Saturday, August 04, 2007

 

Bring me little water, Cindy, bring me little water now...

So, we know Baghdad goes without any water for periods that would utterly freak out a Portland yuppie—and when there is running water it often has interesting little animate and inanimate things in it. The Iraqis, I'm sure, are thanking us on a daily basis for this interesting situation.

In almost all of America, the tap water is limitless. Turn it on and let it run and run; chances are it was drinkable when you first turned it on, and a gallon or ten gallons later it will be just as drinkable. Americans also drank 4 billion gallons of water in individual little bottles. Isn't that special? According to today's NY Times, if the average person bought all her drinking water, she could spend around $1,400. If she used tap water, she'd spend about $50. But, a woman told me, it's the bottles. They're so handy: forget one somewhere and you've got another at home. Besides, we all know that if you keep refilling plastic bottles they start deteriorating...And, besides that, I have a hard enough life so don't guilt-trip me...

The attitude is we're entitled to do what we want because, well, we're god's chosen people, we've had hard lives, life's too short, and besides that, don't go guilt-tripping me. God forbid you should say anything that might make someone feel bad.

I'm old and I'm cranky. What a crock of self-indulgent shit we're handed on a daily basis. Oh! I don't mean to make you feel bad...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?